JAPAN SOCIETY FOR PROMOTION OF SCIENCE (JSPS) JOINT RESEARCH PROJECTS/SEMINARS 2015/2016 FY CALL FOR PROPOSALS
NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION (NACOSTI)
JAPAN SOCIETY FOR PROMOTION OF SCIENCE (JSPS)
JOINT RESEARCH PROJECTS/SEMINARS
2015/2016 FY CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) have for the last three years held a joint call for research and seminar funding following the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the two organizations with the objective to foster close bilateral cooperative programs between Kenya and Japan in promotion of Science, technology and Innovation (ST&I) sector. In this matching grants arrangement, NACOSTI provides financial support to Kenyan scientists while JSPS provides to Japanese scientists. The programme supports projects in Humanities, Social sciences and Natural sciences.
The joint NACOSTI/JSPS call supports one research project per year for a period not exceeding 2 years to a maximum of Ksh 2,000,000 for Kenyan counterpart while JSPS support up to the tune of JPY 5,000,000. The program also supports one seminar for a maximum period of one week to be held either in Kenya or Japan to a maximum of Ksh
1,000,000 by NACOSTI and JPY 1,500,000 by JSPS. The applications for research and seminar MUST be submitted to both NACOSTI and JSPS. Based on the agreement, the costs associated with holding seminars will be covered by the receiving side.
The deadline for submission of the applications for 2015/2016 FY will be 30th September, 2015. The successful applications will be funded between April and December, 2016.
Joint research projects
· International travel: International airfare between Japan and Kenya may be supported under this programme.
· Maintenance allowance: Will be provided by either NACOSTI or JSPS when scientist visits the respective countries but within the approved project expenses.
· Domestic travel: Domestic travel expenses and maintenance allowance for scientists from respective countries during their stay either in Kenya or Japan subject to clearly defined arrangement between NACOSTI and JSPS.
· Research expenses: Consumables, honoraria, printing, communication, meeting expenses are allowable under this programme.
For seminars held in either Kenya or Japan, NACOSTI and JSPS will respectively cover the domestic travel expenses of members of Japanese and Kenyan teams participating in the joint seminars following a clearly defined prior agreement between NACOSTI and JSPS. This arrangement may also cover maintenance allowances of visiting teams.
· Applicants must hold full time or equivalent position as a researcher at a University or Research institute in Kenya or Japan.
· There is no limitation to number of participants in a project or seminar. Researchers from third countries may participate but at their own expense.
· With exception of fieldwork or presentation of research reports on joint project in an international project, travel costs to third countries are not covered.
· Each applicant is allowed to submit only one application from each country.
· Applicants who will already be conducting a joint NACOSTI/JSPS research on the starting date of the projects in this application round may not apply for the joint research project with the same counterpart organization.
· No more than 50% of total funding may be used for expenses other than international/domestic travel.
Selection Criteria/Review process
· Scientific excellence of projects
· Necessity of cooperation, added value gained and mutual research advancement through transfer of knowledge and expertise
· Impact of outcomes on improving the quality of life, contributing to socioeconomic development, and/or solving prevailing social issues
· Participation of young researchers and contributions to fostering them
· Feasibility and concreteness of the research plan and expectation of its advancing the research
· Contribution to researcher interaction in advancing the research during the project
· Appropriateness of the budget plan
NACOSTI and JSPS will conduct separate reviews of the applications they receive. Based on these review results the joint selections will be made. Applications submitted by one side only will not be accepted. Kenyan/Japanese team leaders should therefore be sure that their counterparts submit a matching application.
Kenyans with other on-going ST&I grant funded projects should not apply as Principal Investigators. Eligible Kenyan applicants to access application form at http://www.nacosti.go.ke. All applications to be submitted to the address given below. Japanese scientists can access the same at
http://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-bilat/main.html. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI)
P.O. Box 30623-00100,
P.O. Box 30623-00100,